This week I cooked up a Chicken and Potato Curry. I found the recipe at Master Chef NZ and modified it a bit because I didn't have all the ingredients. It was delish but a little watery. Next time I'll stick to the recipe and it should be perfect.
Here's the recipe I should have used...
8 free-range chicken thighs, skinned, boned
1 tsp ground turmeric
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
5 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds, toasted in a dry pan until fragrant and slightly darkened
large pinch chilli flakes or to taste
700g Agria potatoes, peeled and cut into 3 cm chunks
400g can crushed Italian tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp coriander, chopped
1. Toss the chicken in the turmeric until the chicken is well coated with turmeric. Reserve.
2. Pound the garlic and ginger together with a mortar and pestle until you have a coarse paste, or finely chop each.
3. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over moderate heat and add the garlic, ginger, onion, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds and chilli flakes. Brown gently for 10 minutes until the onion is soft.
4. Add the chicken thighs and fry until they have coloured all over, then add the potatoes, tomatoes, water and salt, mix well and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
5. Uncover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning. Remove from the heat and let stand 5 minutes then stir in the coriander.
Other vegetables such as pumpkin or kumara can be added to this dish.
Always use agria potatoes as they are floury and will absorb the curry flavour.
Whenever using dry spices always toast well in a saucepan or oven to release the flavours.
If you have a recipe to share, post the details to your blog, leave a comment here, include your link below on our new Linky and we will check it out. If you prefer, you can leave your recipe as a comment and we will include it in a future post on your behalf.
- Link back to Simply Delish on you blog so others can find SD and play along.
Have a great weekend.
KB and Whitesnake
More Simply Delish recipes listed here
This recipe has been shared with Foodie Friday, It's A Keeper Thursday and Friday Potluck